Monday, September 14, 2015

First Day of School

Our oldest daughter, Eliza, is a freshman this year.  She loves music; she plays the piano beautifully and is learning the electric bass and the ukulele.  She has been asking forever if she could learn to play the drums.

"Not in my house"

I know.  I'm cruel.  I destroy childhood dreams.

She decided to go around me.  For the first time ever, I have a child attending actual, brick-and-mortar, not-in-my-house school.  Eliza is going to the neighborhood high school for band.  She is the only girl on the drum line.  She walked into that building without the least idea how to play drums (or any of the other percussion instruments, save piano) and she is learning it!  Bravery, is what that is called.

In an unfortunate turn of events, I couldn't take her to school for her first day.  Her brother dropped her off.  I emphasized that I wanted a first day of school picture because I've never, ever in my 16+ years of parenting, had one of those.  They nearly forgot, but remembered at the last moment and snagged this hurried, but sweet picture of my girl.


I'm probably going to get in trouble for posting it, and maybe it is just my mother's heart speaking, but I can't get over her face.  You guys, she is seriously such a good girl.  How did the Lord ever see fit to bless me with her?  What a joy, raising this noble and strong soul!

And enjoy making the banging, clashing, clanging noise somewhere besides here.

3 comments:

  1. That's exciting for Eliza. And I'm totally with you on the "not in my house." I got my degree in Music and had to learn to play all of the instruments on a beginning level. The group percussion class was the worst. We affectionately called it "group bang on things" because that's what it sounded like....at 7:30 in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty & spunky. Drumline sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete