Friday, November 27, 2015

Our First Thanksgiving

We hosted our first Thanksgiving (which is actually our 19th Thanksgiving, Justin and I) in our new home yesterday.  Those of you who have been following our journey for a while will know that part of my planning of this house was especially for large events such as these.  We both come from large families and are creating a rather large family of our own.  We have come to recognize how important it is to have an area big enough for many people.  We've had a few birthday parties here and several spontaneous youth gatherings, but the kitchen was yet untried. This was to be the test.

The first order of business was this passive-aggressive sign.


It worked remarkably well, except for the fact that we weren't very good with following through with the punishment.  The message was delivered and generally followed.

I love this picture.  I love it because my Eliza is so beautiful, obviously, but also because of what is going on in the background. The grandfather is sitting attentively and the cousins are playing the guitar.
The day was a cacophony of music--we counted six guitars, an electric bass, a ukulele, and the piano, as well as random moments of vocal contributions.

Isaac used some of his earnings from his first paid gig as a ballet dancer to buy a 12 string guitar.
Here he plays with Uncle Kevin.
All photos credit of my mother dear, by the way, because I was busy and didn't think of it.
Thanks, Mom!

This was the scene in the kitchen at one point.  There were frequently four, five, six bums in the kitchen and there wasn't much interference. I was so happy!!  I thought it would work, but you just never know until you're in there.  
Parenthetically, I need to come up with some label for the garbage cans because the pull-out drawer looks like a regular cabinet.  

Here, my beautiful 87 year old grandma, a couple of my girls and my sister enjoy squeezing up together.  

Grandma's attendance tested another function of our house: wheelchair accessibility.  There are two stairs at the entrances, but beyond that, all of the necessities are on the main floor.  We were able to scoot grandma all around, even to take a nap on my bed at one point, without running into walls or door jams.  Yay!

My nephew sandwiching himself in the pocket doors that lead to the library.
We rolled up the living room rug and pushed the couches aside to make room for another table.  There was room and to spare.  After dinner, we put that long table in the adjoining library for games and to separate some of the happy chaos.
My brothers Zachery and Daniel
It was such a nice day!  My kitchen was entirely functional, even with 25 attendees.  There were places for people to go (once the basement is finished, that will help even more with that need) and we were able to really enjoy one another.

I know Thanksgiving isn't supposed to be about things, but our house made our celebration that much sweeter.  To see generations, five, actually, comfortable and full and having fun together, in my long-planned home, was really a lovely thing for me.


After everyone left, Justin and I took note of the things we needed to change or adjust, either immediately or over time, to continue to oil the machine.

It is good to know that even after these kids have kids, we'll have room for them at the party.

As long as they label their cup!

1 comment:

  1. Coming from a big family and as a person who loves the getting together, I completely relate to this- and I have tears in my eyes. I am so happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete