Friday, December 11, 2015

Adult?

Isaac (16) has had some fun experiences the last couple of months.  He was hired by two different schools, one in San Antonio and the other in Midland, Texas, to be a guest artist in their Nutcracker performances.  They are his first paid gigs and he has loved it.

Children's Ballet of San Antonio
We have stayed in contact the same way we've always done: phone calls, texts, and Facebook.  Today, he sent me the following message:

I have to call you with an adult problem.

My mind instantly flew out of control.  Gears and wires and springs went flying as my brain function jerked into full reverse.  Sound the sirens, we are under attack!


Why would you have an adult problem when you have only just lost your first teeth?
How could you be addressing adult issues when your hair refuses to lie flat and I have to use my master skills to convince you to not wear a Robin or Superman or Anakin costume every waking (well, and sleeping) minute?!


Furthermore, what the heckfire kind of statement is that to flippantly toss at your mother?  
What is an "adult problem?"  
We've already covered body hair, basic banking, how to know when a girl wants to hold your hand, laundry procedures and how to ship a package.  The only remaining options have got to be the bigger problems; the emotional, spiritual or major life decisions types of problems.  

Oh, save me.  I cannot face it!  
All is lost.  

As I stare at the nuts and bolts of my soul, scattered haphazardly around me, and hyperventilate into a paper bag, he, just as nonchalantly as he sent the first message, offers the next line:
I've never paid taxes before and I don't know how to fill out this form.

Oh, for mercy's sake.

6 comments:

  1. Did you find all your gears and springs, or are they still scattered all over the floor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for making me laugh. Boys are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for making me laugh. Boys are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - OMG you had me going until the last line... OMG - Oh My Goodness that was funny!! You Mom's crack me up!!

    ReplyDelete