Sunday, December 20, 2015

Baby Education

Since I've been having babies every couple of years for the past 16 years, my children have been raised learning about prenatal care, intrauterine development, labor and delivery, and postnatal care and recovery.  We have a few fascinating books with charts, illustrations and photographs of fetuses and newborns, complete with girl and boy "parts" and their explanatory captions, and some graphic images of women delivering babies.  I know there are some people who think I'm too open with the children, but it has always felt right to me to talk to my people like what they are: people.

I was visiting with my seven year old's Primary teacher.  She described how my little girl is so excited about our baby and comes each week with some new tidbit about what is happening with the new one.


Then she told a story.  Last week, they were talking about how we were Spirits before we came to this earth.  One of the other little girls asked, "Where do baby's come from?"

The sweet teacher, had a perfect Sunday School answer worked up and was about to start explaining when my educated daughter piped up:

Looking at her friend, she declared knowingly,
"You need to have The Talk with your mom!"

I was SO glad this was her response!  I try to emphasize the fact that some of the things we talk about aren't things to talk about with friends or even cousins, but you just never know if they hear you!


No comments:

Post a Comment