Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Light or Darkness

It is amazing to me that no matter how many times I read the scriptures, I continually find things I'd never before read.  Of course it was there all the time, but this particular time, it jumped off the page, as it were.  My older two kids are studying the Old Testament in Seminary, so I'm trying to read along with them.  I recently read these verses:

19 ¶And the angel of God, which went before the camp of Israel, removed and went behind them; and the pillar of the cloud went from before their face, and stood behind them:
 20 And it came between the camp of the Egyptians and the camp of Israel; and it was a cloud and darkness to the Egyptians,but it gave light by night to the Israelites: so that the one came not near the other all the night.
Exodus 14:19-20
The exact same entity was darkness to the Egyptians, 
but light to the Israelites.


It got me to thinking.  How do I make sure that I am seeing doctrine and principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ as something that enlightens and not something that confuses?  When I learn something new, what is it that helps me respond in faith instead of letting it become a stumbling block in my testimony?

I found a poignant answer in a talk from Elder Kim B. Clark of the Seventy in the most recent conference.  He said:

Our time is a dangerous time—a time of great evil and temptation, a time of confusion and commotion. In these perilous times, the Lord’s prophet on the earth, President Thomas S. Monson, has called us to rescue the wounded in spirit,12 to stand for truth with courage,13 and to build the kingdom of God.14 Whatever level of spirituality or faith or obedience we now have, it will not be sufficient for the work that lies ahead. We need greater spiritual light and power. We need eyes to see more clearly the Savior working in our lives and ears to hear His voice more deeply in our hearts.
This marvelous blessing comes when we open our hearts and receive,15 truly receive, the Lord Jesus Christ, His doctrine, and His Church into our lives. We do not have to be perfect, but we need to be good and getting better. We need to strive to live the plain and simple truths of the gospel. If we take upon us the name of Christ, act with faith in Him to repent of our sins, keep His commandments, and always remember Him, we will receive the companionship of the Holy Ghost through the mercy and grace of Jesus Christ. 
Kim B. Clark, "Eyes to See and Ears to Hear", General Conference, October 2015 . Emphasis added.

It always comes back to our Savior, Jesus Christ, doesn't it?  That and our faith in Him. He doesn't only ask us to follow Him because He wants us to be like Him, He also asks us to follow because 
He is the light of the world! 
Stepping in His sure tread, we will not be caught up in the confusion and darkness that saturates our world, like the Egyptians of old,  
we will be surrounded by light!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!!! I love when I discover something new in the same scripture I've read before!

    ReplyDelete