Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Car Shopping

Justin drives a stripped down 2001 Chevy Metro.
When we first came back to our home turf during the last year of Pharmacy school, a friend of a friend sold us the car for $500.  Knowing he'd need a car and thinking this would be rather temporary, we bought it.
To be fair, the thing starts every day
and it gets a.m.a.z.i.n.g. gas mileage (42 mpg).
Other than that, it has problems . . . pretty much every problem.
Sometimes when I hear someone drive up and I'm in bed reading,
I'll hold my phone up and snap a picture
so I don't actually move if I don't have to.  Ha!
Here, the mailman is bringing a package.
Justin's car is the little red guy.
The biggest reason Justin needs a new car is for safety.  We have to take highways frequently out here and there is a lot of semi truck traffic.  I constantly worry that one of those giant tractor trailers will bump into the little red car and kill my husband (or me or one of the kids).

Plus, Justin works very hard for this family!  It isn't fair that the man who earns the paycheck has to get into a frozen or boiling, depending on the season, falling apart car after work every day!

We've been trying to get him a car for 6 months, but just haven't been able to make it work.
We are finally able to manage a small car payment, so we're looking.
Neither of us enjoy cars or car shopping.
This is work.

We've been test driving, we've been report checking, we've been negotiating, we've been scouring ads, car lots and Craigslist.  It has been three weeks and we haven't yet found the car.
The other day, I found a car that looked pretty good, other than the fact that it was $3000 over book at $13,000.  It had been on Craigslist for two weeks, so I texted the guy.  I told him his numbers were high and asked if he would consider offers.
No, he was firm, he said.
A few days later, I get a follow up text:
Hey, I lowered my asking price to $12,900, if you're still interested!
WOW! A $100 discount.  We'd better pounce on that deal.

Two more test drives tomorrow.
We'll see.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious that he would spend the time texting for $100 discount.

    ReplyDelete