Friday, April 1, 2016

Allergies

Have I ever told you about my allergies?  Well, I have them, to my deep disappointment, and it is all my fault.

Every time you go to the doctor, dentist, or pharmacist and every time you fill out a permission slip or personal information type of form, there is always the question, "Do you have any allergies?"

Now, I have freckles.  I have huge nostrils.  I had to have some serious work done to straighten my teeth.  I have varicose veins.  I mean, I have issues, just like everyone.  But, I have a few things going for me as well.  I have good hair and mossy green eyes and I could always check that box that assured the world that my immune system enjoyed cooperating with me.  

"No.  I do not, in fact, have any allergies!" Ha!

*Gloat privately, but dangerously.*

Pride, (spoken)
PRIDE (hollered) was my fall!  I esteemed my non-allergic perfection too highly!
Alas,"Pride goeth before destruction, and a haughty spirit before the fall!"

It started five years ago this month.  I thought I had a head cold I could not beat.  My eyes watered, swelled, itched.  What is this beast?

I generally take a no-medicine-is-best kind of approach to healing.  In addition, I was expecting a baby at the time and during pregnancy I always try extra hard to avoid medicines.
I drank water incessantly.
The roof of my mouth began to itch.
I gargled.
The sneezing became continuous.
Vitamins, a variety of healthy foods, I even tried the torture device known as the Netie Pot.
Nothing (spoken)
NOTHING (hollered) helped the runny nose and constant sniffling.

I had the baby in mid-May and began eating Benadryl like Mike and Ike's.  Slowly, my symptoms improved.
Still clinging to my denial, I could hardly accept that I had developed allergies; yet it became painfully obvious.
My beloved immune system!  How couldst thou betray me? 

Since that day, I've begun sneezing in mid-March and don't stop until some time in May or June, depending on the season.  My pharmacist husband, and caring father of his babies, has recommended an allergy medication that is very low risk.  I've tried some of the natural remedies, with no success, so I take a tiny pill every day to keep my sniffing under control.

And so, my friends, learn from my mistake!  Do not take pride in something over which you have no control.  Be grateful for your good stuff, but don't let your delight in that thing become malignant.   You'll be sorry.

Take it from me.

Signed,
Sad, sniffling, sneezing and itchy.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe one of common ancestors is to blame. When things get really bad, it's Zyrtec at night, Claritin & Flonase in the morning. I am pretty anti-medicine too but sometimes it's all too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain, but just a tiny bit. I started with allergies about the time I graduated from High School. Fortunately for me I'm only allergic to some, not all, so my allergies don't usually go on for months- but when they hit, it's usually very unpleasant!!! Zyrtec is the only allergy medicine I've ever found that didn't give me side effects as bad as the allergies themselves. Recently I found doTerra essential oils- they have an allergy pill that works almost instantaneously!

    ReplyDelete