Sunday, April 24, 2016

Kite Festival

I saw in the paper that there was to be a kite festival not too far from our house.
I had no idea what to expect, but since Dad always works Saturdays and we had nothing essential going on, I booted everyone out the door to go see what it was all about.



No one wanted to go.  I didn't even especially want to go.
I told the kids that if it was lame, we wouldn't stay, but let's just go see.


The weather has turned from the unseasonably warm 80's last week,
back to more traditional cool and wet April weather.
I, for one, am glad.  I don't do well in the heat and after last year's crazy hot summer season, the high temps this early in the year were beginning to get me worried.


At one point in the day, Camilla saved the day by climbing a tree with, as you can see, very small branches, to save a kite of a stranger.  It was a rather death-defying stunt because as she neared the top, the tree began to sway precariously.  She carefully unwound the caught string and was able to free the kite.
The kid did not thank her!  She didn't care, sweet child.; the avid tree-climber in her could not bear standing on the ground while such a challenge was presented.


Today's clouds were gorgeous and watching the kite flyers was fun.
Our expectations were low, but we were rewarded with a quaint afternoon, all of those families running around with their kites.
No one wanted to come, but within minutes, everyone wished we had kites.
We will be back next year, not just as spectators, but as participants!


In other news, look what arrived in the mail today:


Now that I miraculously have prepared earth, I must tend to her.
Erosion prevention is a top priority this summer and it seems to me that wildflowers are an apt way to resolve that issue.
These packages are pure seed (no filler) and I have such high hopes for them!
You can be assured that I will let you know how they grow.

I love spring!

2 comments:

  1. We love to fly kites- looks like a fun day. My mom heart was beating fast just looking at that picture of your sweet girl in the tree! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete