Monday, May 16, 2016

What I Always Wanted


The other evening, I was at my kitchen sink.  I looked out the window and saw this:


Dad had a fire going and all of the kids were out roasting marshmallows, laughing and enjoying each other.  I stood there for a long time, just watching, putting it all in my forever memory bank.

The kids have been outside nonstop this spring.  They have an imaginary town, like from the book Roxaboxen, they've been playing on the hammock, they ride bikes and climb trees, they dress up in costumes and run and laugh outdoors all day.  And all of this before the grass is fully in and before we've been able to build a fort or a swing set.  They don't seem to need many props.

This is what I've always wanted for my kids; this kind of play in this kind of setting.  They are safe and they are happy.  Of course they have to work out childhood kinks (read: bickering), sometimes they get a scrape or two, and every once in a while I have to step in to help solve problems.  But, these are life skills they are learning and I love being a witness to it.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that Emily. So happy you are realizing dreams!!

    ReplyDelete