Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Field Trip Summer: MAC & Campbell House

This week's field trip was to the Museum of Arts and Culture, or MAC.
It was half price Tuesday, for which I was grateful; that was all it was worth, in my opinion.  
The museum is small and not varied--some animals, some art, some artifacts.  The architecture of the building was cool--better than the exhibits, unfortunately.



But, you know, we saw a few things and it was the right size for the youngest's attention span.
You have no idea how ridiculously long it took to orchestrate this photo!
Can't help but notice the blank space where our Eowyn would be.
After viewing all of the exhibits, the children got to create a bit of their own art!

Why are the children all squashed together when the whole giant wall is available?!
Next door to the museum is the Campbell House.  It was built and owned by a rich mine owner in 1898.  It has been carefully preserved and restored and is now an historical house.  This house was worth the price of admission. 


Waiting for the tour to start.


I hadn't been to the house since I was a teenager.  My memories of it were positive, but there were a lot of details I'd forgotten.  I hoped it was as good as I remembered.


It was.
Gorgeous woodwork, decadent wallpaper.
Last time I was here, they were carefully peeling layers off the walls to find the original wallpaper design.  This is a replica based on that paper.
I love it.


My stupid camera failed me, but this room was gorgeous.  Deep greens, rich woods, big windows, some of my favorite things!


In the carriage house, they had some dress-up clothes.
We had to take a "waiting for the train" picture.


Having just read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, we had to take a picture with Aslan!


 See the kid on the floor?  I'm afraid that was frequent during our outing today.
It was time to go home!

We all loved the Campbell House 

Love me some tudor style!

and were glad it was half-price Tuesday for the rest of the exhibits!

2 comments:

  1. I am glad that the wingspan picture turned out. All too often my ideas for a cute photo op don't pan out well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way about the MAC-- I keep going hoping for something better... and I am always disappointed. The Campbell House is always a treat tho. Your kids looked like they had fun...

    ReplyDelete