Saturday, July 30, 2016

Track Meet

 Our small town Parks and Rec center sponsored a family Track Meet.
It was billed for everyone ages 3 and up.
Wanting to expose my children to something I loved as a kid, we signed up right away.

Have you ever seen anything so cute in your life?  This guy ran and ran and ran!
My older three weren't able to go and the youngest isn't even rolling over yet.
It was up to the three younger kids and Mom to represent the family.



Most of the events were brand new to my girls. A good family friend is a track coach for the high school.  He is a natural teacher and got to work right away, explaining how things worked to my crew.

My girl is in lane 3 with the red top.

I was proud of my younger girls, ages 8 and 10.  They ran just about every race and tried the jumping events as well.  The eight year old had injured her heel just a couple of days before on a rock in a lake, but she didn't let that limit her.

My little girl is in lane 4, dressed all in pink.
 It was 95 degrees and we had to run facing west.  The sun was hot and in our eyes.  
This picture is after the 400 meter run.  That is such a hard race and they did great! (Her shoes were really hurting her heel, so she ran sock-footed.)


When it was time for the 4x100 relay race, the girls were quickly divided into teams.
Here, the younger kid team discusses strategy.


The middle kids got things worked out as well.


There was a team that needed one more member, so I joined in.
Good grief, you guys.  I was trying as hard as I could, but those high schoolers zoomed by me like I was a leaf in the grass.

I did attempt another event.
I participated in the triple jump.
I literally have not done this in more than twenty years.
I was surprised that my muscles remembered how to do it
and I was thrilled (and surprised) that I made it into the sand pit!


My buddy followed right in my footsteps.
He started hopping as soon as he got to the white lines and jumped the whole way into the sand.


When I jumped, I fell sideways into the sand.
He decided that was how it was supposed to be done.
Every time he jumped after that, he fell sideways into the sand.


 It was so much fun!  The word about these meets hasn't been spread far and wide just yet, so there weren't so many spectators as to intimidate an old, saggy lady like me.  Plus, it was a perfect exposure to the sport for my kids.  We all came home tired, a good kind of tired, if you know what I mean.

We have two more meets and everyone is excited to run again!





1 comment: