Friday, August 12, 2016

A Baptism Day

My beautiful girl was recently baptized, following the example of Jesus Christ, to enter into the covenant to always remember Jesus Christ, take His name upon her and to keep the commandments.  She has been waiting all summer for this day and did a remarkable job of becoming spiritually prepared.


Everyone comes with their own gifts and this one definitely has faith.  She cares about doing what is right, strives to develop a relationship with Christ, and believes.  It has been rewarding to me to see her exploring that faith this summer in her quest to be prepared for baptism and confirmation.


Camilla took her for a quick photo shoot after she was in her white jumpsuit.


 Part of the reason she has been waiting all summer, is because she wanted her big brother to perform the ordinance for her.  He got home on Saturday, she was baptized Sunday.

Watching one worthy child baptize another worthy child was a singular event.  
Beyond words.
Really beautiful.


The whole family participated in the program in one way or another.
Our ten year old gave a talk about baptism, the twelve year old, Camilla, spoke about the Holy Ghost and accompanied the cousins who sang a special musical number, Eliza, fifteen, played the piano for the rest (prelude, two hymns, and postlude), Isaac, seventeen, baptized, Dad performed the confirmation, and I gave a prayer.

Our three year old participated in multiple ways.  He stood at the door and greeted the congregation, handing out programs and handshakes.


He also said hollered the best opening prayer ever.


Perhaps his best moment came when Lucy was teaching us about baptism.  She asked, rhetorically, what kinds of things we do to become unfit to be in the presence of God.  In other words, how do we sin (she was getting to the necessity of repentance and partaking of the sacrament).  Our three year old, for whom potty training is going poorly, to say the least, volunteered, loudly, "Because I pooped my pants!"
Oh, for crying out loud.

We grabbed the kids a few minutes before the program was to begin for a family picture.
My niece took a series of photos and I had released the children to go back to their stations
when my sister-in-law came into the hallway WITH OUR BABY and asked if we wanted her in our family pictures!  Serious Mother of the Year moment right there!


Calling the children back into position, we took pictures again--this time with ALL of our living offspring.


Besides a few hiccups, it was a beautiful day.  After she was baptized and I was helping her out of her wet clothes and back into dry ones, she was absolutely glowing.  She kept hugging me, and I her.  Finally, with her eyes bright, she looked at me and said, "Mom, did you feel like crying after you were baptized?  Because I just feel like crying!!"
What a special moment to teach my girl about how we sometimes manifest the feeling of the Holy Ghost.  It was a witness that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ were pleased with her choice and were confirming to her heart that it was right.


After all was said and done, we came back to our house where Aunt Lindsey fried one billion scones for everyone, the girl's specific request for after her baptism.

Trying to get a normal smile out of her for one picture with her best-bud cousin.
No could do; she was giddy.
I went to bed exhausted, but thoroughly happy.
What a day.
How I love her.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your baptism, Pod #5! This post made me smile, especially the part about Henry's comment. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one with a 3 year old son that is struggling to potty train. :)

    ReplyDelete