Wednesday, January 4, 2017

The Kids' Resolutions

For several years, we have made a point of sitting down with the kids on New Year's Day to review and resolve.  We read over last year's resolutions, favorite memories, hardest things and books read.  It is fun to analyze our progress and rate our success.  It is often confounding that this or that thing was so long ago or more recent than we would've guessed.

The hardest thing for this guy last year was when he was weaned.  That was just last year?!
After that, we read some of this year's favorite memories, hardest things and books read.  Then it is time to make those new resolutions.  This year, I think just about all of the children want to cook more and to learn more recipes.

Yesterday, I pulled out a sheet of paper and asked each child what they would like to learn to cook.  With as many children as we have, if everyone cooks one meal per week, I shouldn't have to ever be in charge of dinner again!  Here are some of the requests:  yeast bread followed by homemade pizza, banana bread, homemade spaghetti sauce, black bean soup, raspberry pie, chicken French bread pizza, cabbage soup, and Mexican spaghetti.  Of course, for this to work, I have to be in the kitchen to teach the children, but just knowing I don't have to come up with the menu means one less chore for me!

My new Christmas present was a 16 qt pot.  Now I can make a super large batch of soup that will feed everyone for several meals.  Cooking vacation!
And more accountability for homemade meals means I will be able to stick to my resolution of using cash and avoiding the I'll just pick something up mentality of a busy mom.  We can do it!

Spaghetti Sauce Skills

2 comments:

  1. awesome! My kids have been cooking more since summer and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!! And I think I have enough old enough children we can even make it work!!

    ReplyDelete